The team at Bear Republic Brewing Company are dedicated stewards of the community and the environment. We believe that sustainability, beer quality and financial responsibility go hand in hand. Investment in extensive solar arrays and a state of the art wastewater pretreatment system help us to further reduce our impact on the environment. Spent grain from our brewing process is donated to a cattle rancher who provides wholesome meat to low-income families via the local “Range to Table” program and spent hops are composted by farmers to keep it out of landfills.
A typical brewery will use up to 7 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of beer. Bear Republic has worked hard to achieve a 3.5 to 1 water use to beer produced ratio in our drought stressed region. After an extensive onsite pilot test, we are installing the world’s first bioelectrically enhanced wastewater pretreatment plant (EcoVolt), built by Cambrian Innovation. This scalable system will create high quality methane and provide 25 percent of our hot water heating and close to 50 percent of our electrical needs. Furthermore, the system will enable us to re-use up to 25% of the water for cleaning and wash down.
In addition to the energy captured and created by the EcoVolt wastewater system, we have teamed up with North State solar to install the first American Pride solar array. This 30.2kW system is comprised of all US-manufactured equipment including racking, micro inverters and solar panels built on the west coast. An additional 136.6kW solar array is in the works and will pave the way to becoming carbon neutral.
See our energy production in real time here.
Bear Sustainability Articles
- The Big Issue: Water Sustainability
- Bear Republic Takes the Brewers for Clean Water Pledge
- Waste2Watergy Helping Beverage Companies Brew Power from Wastewater
- HOW TO DRINK RESPONSIBLY: Helping the planet, pint by pint.
- Sharing kegs reduces a brewery’s carbon footprint, new study says.
- California Brewery Goes Solar
- Bear Republic Brewing Company and Cambrian Innovation Unveil Pioneering Wastewater Treatment to Energy System
- Bear Republic Brewing Goes Local For Solar
- Latest News Deal With Local Brewer Helps Sonoma County Town Get Through Drought
- Beer saves town from crippling drought
- California’s historic drought strains towns and farms in Sonoma County
- How A Brewery Might Save This Town In The California Drought
- Using Space Technology to Conserve Water